Superstrata, a Silicon Valley-based bicycle brand, has unveiled the world’s first made-to-measure 3D-printed electric bicycle.
The e-bicycle is made out of a unibody carbon fibre frame and according to the manufacturer is ‘impact-resistant’ too. Its frame is 3D-printed in a single pass of continuous carbon fibre thermoplastic composite, which makes it stand out from other bicycle frames that use glue and bolts to hold the frame together.
Buy an electric scooter on Amazon (Affiliate)
The bicycle’s unique selling point is that it allows for a wide degree of customisation. As the e-bicycle is 3D-printed, Superstrata claims it has ‘over 500,000 possible combinations’ – the frame can be tailored to the rider’s height, weight, arm and leg lengths, riding positions and even preferred stiffness levels; all of which make the Superstrata the most versatile carbon fibre bike ever made.
“This bike was designed to leverage all the benefits of this new manufacturing technology to get the best of both worlds: strength and lightness,” said Bill Stephens, an award-winning bicycle designer and the creative force behind Superstrata.
At launch, two versions of the e-bicycle will be made available: the Terra – a conventional non-powered bicycle; and the Ion, an e-bicycle, which can be fully charged in two hours, providing for up to a 55-mile range.
Read next: Peugeot launches an electric bicycle: The eLC01 e-bike costs €1,499
Both Terra and Ion will feature integrated data and power wiring throughout the frame, enabling for a variety of upgrades.
Additional options include a rider’s style (racing, street, gravel, or touring), the bicycle’s wheel material (metal or carbon fibre), and colour (light or dark).
“My Olympic race bikes were light, but would crack when pushed too hard or crashed. Having a bike that’s light like other carbon fibre bikes but really tough is a dream come true,” said Sky Christopherson, two-time former Olympian cyclist and world record holder for the velodrome sprint.
The Superstrata Terra Bicycle will retail for $2,799 (~£2,235) and the Ion E-Bicycle for $3,999 (~£3,194). Both are available for pre-order now for a discounted price. Shipping begins in December 2020.
Read next: Ducati launches new range of electric scooters and e-bikes
Superstrata Terra Specs
- Attachment Points: Bottle Cage Bosses
- Axle – Front:100mm X 12mm Through-Axle Front Hub
- Axle – Rear: 142mm X 12mm Through-Axle Rear Hub
- Brake Calipers: Flat Mount Disc, Mechanical
- Brake Details: Mechanical Rim Brakes
- Brake Levers: Flat Bar Levers
- Braker Rotors: 160mm
- Cassette: 8 Speed
- Chain: Shimano
- Cranks: 1x Chainring, Possibly Square Taper
- Frame Body Build: Unibody
- Frame Colors: Black & White
- Frame Fork Details: Arevo Custom
- Frame/Fork Material: Thermoplastic Carbon Fiber Composite
- Frame Rear Details: Arevo Custom
- Frame Sizes: Infinite
- Frame Types: High-Step
- Gearing Details: 11 Speed
- Geometry Measurements: Bespoke
- Grips: (Custom Color) Bar Tape
- Handlebar: Arevo Cf 5 Styles (Drop, Flat, Bull Horn, Rise, Cruise)
- Headset: Drop-In Cups + Bearings, 1-1/8″ Straight
- Hub – Front: Standard Spoked Hub
- Hub – Rear: Standard Spoked Hub, Cassette Freewheel
- Light – Front: Fabricated, Integrated Into Head Tube
- Light – Rear: Fabricated, Integrated Into Frame
- Other: Charger, Assembly Toolkit
- Pedals: Flat – Available For Upgrade
- Rd Hanger: Fabricated, Machined Steel
- Rear Derailleur: 1 X 8 Speed
- Rims: 700c Alloy Rims
- Saddle: Basic
- Seat Post: Arevo Custom
- Seat Post Diameter: Arevo Custom
- Seat Post Length: Arevo Custom
- Shifter: Flat Bar Shifter
- Spokes: 36h Rear, 32h Front
- Stem: Arevo Custom Carbon Fiber
- Tire Brand: 28, 35, 40mm Urban Options/ All-Terrain Tires
- Total Weight: 9.0kg
- Tube Details: 40mm Urban
- Wheel Sizes: 100mmx 12mm/142mm X 12mm Through-Axle Rear Hub
Superstrata Ion Specs (Electrification)
- Battery Amp Hours: 7ah
- Battery Brand: Samsung/Panasonic/LG
- Battery Chemistry: Lithium-ion
- Battery voltage: 36 volts
- Battery Watt-Hours: 252 wh
- Charge Time: 2 hours
- Display Accessories: display and remote integrated
- Display Type: LCD
- Drive Mode: Torque sensor within bottom bracket
- Estimated Max Range: 35 miles (56 km)
- Legal in EU w/o License: Yes
- Legal in US w/o License: Yes
- Motor Nominal Output: 250 watts
- Motor Peak Output: 350 watts
- Motor Torque: 40 Nm
- Motor Type: Rear hub motor
- Pedal-assist: Yes
- Top Speed: 25 km/h – 15.5mph
Unfortunately, this company is fraudulent and engaged in racketeering.
After more then 2 years delay, and being informed that the components were degraded, I was asked to pay some $800 for the shipping and $400 for the import Tax on the $1400 bike. I was given 10 days to do so or my bikes will be forfeited.
I was also informed in spite of having a receipt for the bike that the company have no commitment to provide me with a bike and my money was a pure donation.
The Indigo campaign generated some 7 millions dollar for which the company says it have no commitment for.
This company practices are obviously deceptive and fraudulent
This is really saddening to hear. Sorry that you’ve had such a terrible experience; hope it gets resolved soon.